CGI's and processing requests in order

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Sep 25 01:25:35 EDT 2004

Aloha,

Interesting... I was just about to open up a similar OT thread

"Does anyone know of a Rev GUI to act as an RCS for CVS"

In my context I'm interesting in keeping a repository of specification
documents, task rosters etc.   easily viewable and searchable as .html
docs on the web site.  Certain team players would have editing
privileges, and could view them and if they wanted to edit, click a
button and edit, but other users would be locked out if an edit was in
progress. The system should have an option to add comments if possible,
not only to the document, but as a kind of meta data to the document
itself, which detailed briefly the nature of the revision update.

like "Andre: I just added new criteria for the transcription process."

Adobe has added all this functionality to their CS suite "Version
Cue"... and, though it's slow and clunky, it works. A rev version for a
html/web repository would be lightening fast.

I don't know if this what you are doing by it seems to be a related
area... btw the "token" is sometimes referred to also as a "semaphore
file"

A Rev widget, standalone editor to interface with the site would be
equally acceptable (for those having editing privileges) as the html
docs will be very simply formatted, well within the range of Rev's HTML
tag set.

I'm sure this has wheel has been rolled before...of course the cmd line
is there for wizards who can do the RCS thing from the unix cmd line if
they have root access to the server, but this won't work for
"secretary" level users, who just know how to type and click. And the
security issue would never allow for expansion of the number  of people
with root access, so a GUI is needed to have more team players with
edit privileges.

But, perhaps you user role here is completely something other than what
I'm describing.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery