Director shortcomings; Rev/altBrowser the solution?

Van Esch, Stephen (Bolton) svanesch at husky.ca
Mon Sep 20 08:24:22 EDT 2004

Folks:

Here (according to our Director developer) is the rundown on where Director
is apparently falling short when it comes to developing the product we need.
Can anyone tell me if Rev can solve these problems or if we're overlooking
something in Director?

------
Dynamic population of drop down boxes with multiple language types.
For example, I would like to have an external (maybe XML) list of language
names, all using their appropriate font set. I would like to have a drop
down box that's on the stage to gather all elements from the external file
to populate the drop down. Each element in the drop down would be a
separately executable when selected.
Browser Interaction-
Embedding a browser within a Director window. The purpose of this browser,
would be to seamlessly integrate into the Director stage and interpret an
HTML file properly (including multiple language support).
This embedded browser could have external Director controls that would
print, navigate this HTML file.
Also, a director search box could be embedded into the Director environment
and allow for user searching of web pages...
3 D model control
To be able to have full control over a 3 D model (rotate, pan, zoom), and
embed hotspots on particular sections of the model. I would like to be able
to click on a spot to navigate to another area of the score within the
Director environment, and/or launch an external browser or an embedded
browser.
------
Just to recap the complexity of this project:
The project will deal with very large amounts of text. The text needs to be
formatted with many different styles and includes detailed tables and
graphics with captions. The text will originate from an XML file, needs to
be searchable, and be displayed in multiple languages. All languages will be
included in the project and users should be able to switch from one to the
other seamlessly. All drop-down boxes and interface elements will need to
change on the fly when the user selects a new language. Dynamic text based
on user search strings must be generated. Users must be able to print the
content of windows (even windows holding dynamic content.) To cap it, the
project must interact with the user's system for base technology checks and
a few other things.
We've looked at many different solutions. From what we can tell, the best
way to do this consistently and effectively is through an embedded browser
window and use XHTML/HTML to handle the formatting and unicode. An
additional benefit is that we will be able to handle pdfs if we use a
browser.
For this project, Director may not work because of the problems mentioned
above. Flash will not work because it's inability to handle large amounts of
formatted text. iShell may work but it's ability to work with the operating
system seems limited.
So, can anyone tell me if the Rev/altBrowser combination is the best way to
go with this? Are we missing something in Director? Ideally, we'd like to
have absolutely everything handled from within the app but I don't think
this is possible.
Any help would be really appreciated. I've been banging my head against the
wall looking for decent solution for some time now.
Steve