which item contains the foundText?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 02:31:19 EDT 2004

--- Rich Lague <laguer at ucs.orst.edu> wrote:

> I’m making an application that keeps it’s data in a
> text file and I’m
> trying build in a find field. So, I set up a script
> for the field:
>
> on returnInField
>    global tVar  -- contains the text file
>    global itemNum -- a handler in the stack script
> uses this to display
> the current record
>    if me is empty then beep -- nothing to find
>    find the text of me in tVar
> -- now I need to get the item number that the text
> was found in.
>
> -- the script below does not work. I also tried “is
> within”--also
> doesn’t work.
>    set the itemDelimiter to "|"
>    repeat with i = 1 to the number of items in tVar
>      if i contains the foundText then
>        put i into itemNum
>        exit repeat
>      end if
>    end repeat
>
>   put itemNum
> goRecord
>
> end returnInField
>
> So...How do I determine which item my foundText is
> in?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rich Lague

Hi Rich,

First an important bit of information : 'find' only
works on fields in a stack, not a variable.
But you can use offset, lineOffset, wordOffset and
itemOffset to find data inside variables.

In the above case, I'd use itemOffset.
--
on returnInField
  global tVar

Allow me to encourage you to use a clear naming scheme
for variables, as this will help you track errors and
read your own scripts more quickly.
One guideline that I know a number of Revolutionaries
follow is the Scripting Style Guide :
<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/scriptstyle.html>

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.