Flash/QuickTime interaction with Revolution

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Thu Sep 16 16:29:38 EDT 2004

Troy Rollins a *crit :

> On Sep 16, 2004, at 2:52 PM, jbv wrote:
>
> > sorry to disagree, but IMHO the way Director supports openGL
> > is a bad joke. As long as ppl's conception of 3D is limited to
> > rotating logos with ready-made textures, that's OK. But I'd
> > rather call that 2.5D...
>
> ??
>
> I have to suspect that you have no idea what you are talking about.
> Rotating logos? Ready-made textures? 2.5D? What the heck have you been
> looking at?
> --

I've been looking at Director 8.5 3D implementation, and AFAIR
it hasn't evolved significantly with Director MX.

Actually the major point I want to make is that you must use Lingo
to animate your 3D cast members, add interactivity to them, etc.
So why add another software layer ? Why not code straight in C
with openGL librairies ?
I know what you'll say : not everyone has the skill to develop in C
and Lingo is a familiar environment... But just take a look at some
games developper forums, and especially contributions by ppl
familiar with Lingo and trying to enter the 3D world via Lingo 3D...
When you're serious about realtime interactive 3D graphics, you go
straight to the core, which is openGL. And that gives you more
degrees of freedom than anything else...
Most of the stuff I've seen made with Lingo 3D is slightly improved
rotating logos or extruded text, which is what I call 2.5D.
Have you ever tried to code collision detection or gravity in Lingo 3D ?

JB