Inheritance in Revolution?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Sep 10 04:50:39 EDT 2004

>Because that solution divorces the object from it's code and data. I do use
>"libraries", but only for stand-alone functions that are clearly not object
>behaviours.
>
>I've discovered that I'm not really talking about inheritance here, but more
>class instantiation. Revolution only embraces the thought that every object
>is an instantiation of a single base class implementing a singleton pattern.
>I'd like to be able to declare a single object as a "class" from which I can
>instantiate multiple copies of it wherever I need them.
>
>I think some of the workarounds are genuinely clever, but a poor substitute
>actual "classes". I don't need Rev to be a true OOL, I just think script
>sharing sounds very cool. In the mean time, I might as well go at the
>"library" approach. Is there any limit to the number of back scripts I can
>have? Is there a certain number after which my program might start to bog
>down?

If your stacks are all in a single stack file, you can place the
common script in the stack script of the mainstack to achieve the
desired effect. Trying to instantiate across different stack files is
not correct. Each stack file is an independent program so do speak
even if they collaborate in your project. A truly shared script can
be accessed from multiple stack files using either the library or
frontscript approach. If the integration is really tight, you can
resort to send or call for "remote" instantiation.

Robert Brenstein