It's Time to Fix This Installation Stuff, Guys

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 7 22:01:01 EDT 2004

Andre Garzia wrote:
> in the meantime, would it be hard for us to create a "migrator" stack
> that would pick license.rev, the plugins and other important stuff and
> merge with other Rev folder? I think we could do this, then if we
> reinstall rev, press a button on the migrator stack, puf, cloned
> instalation... :D

Andre, your energy and enthusiasm is enviable, but there already exists
such a mechanism:  following the OS guidelines on the storage of user data.

As per RunRev's presentation at their SF seminar, storing prefs in the
Preferences folder (and "Documents and Settings" on Win) is the best way
to go and is easy to do.

As for things like plugins, in the MC IDE our Plugin Manager allows the
user to use any folder they like for their plugins.  This allows the
developer to keep their plugins outside of the IDE folder, and it will
continue to work from version to version.  It would not be hard for Rev
to add that to their prefs as well.

So as much as I'm initially attracted to the idea of a migrator, since
we're talking about moving from one version of the product to another
version of the same product it should not be hard for the vendor of the
product to address the problem directly, using the methods they
recommend for others.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation