Built the external on OS X but what do I set the externals to?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Sep 6 00:24:46 EDT 2004

On 9/5/04 11:03 PM, "K" <nnoydb at excite.com> wrote:

> I have a interesting problem I have built a simple (very simple) external but
> I cannot seem to locate any documentation on exactly what I place in the
> externals variable.  The name and fully qualified path of the bundle? The
> plistXXX file? Can anyone educate me on this?

You specify the name of the bundle (either a full or partial path; if
partial, it must be based on where engine is at startup time). For example,
I have an external from Trevor DeVore called Window.bundle. Because I am
currently in "working mode" (i.e. using the IDE and not a standalone), I
placed it in the Revolution folder next to the Rev app and inside my stack I
typed into the message box:

  set the externals of this stack to "Window.bundle"

and saved the stack and quit Rev. I then relaunched Rev and reopened my
stack, and it looked for an external by that file name in the Rev folder.
Were I to build my stack into a standalone, I would have to put the
Window.bundle file in the same directory as *my* standalone because that is
where the engine is. If I wanted to put it into a "Support" subfolder, I
would:

  set the externals of this stack to "Support/Window.bundle"

Now I'm told that you don't have to set the externals, save and reopen the
stack, but that you can do it in the "startup" handler of a standalone:

  on startup
    set the externals of this stack to "Window.bundle"
  end startup

Now you can only really do this for a standalone, as the "startup" message
is sent to the first stack that is opened when the app starts up, and in the
RevIDE that is one of the IDE stacks, not your stack.

I hope this helps,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/