Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer" ?

John Ballard runrevlist at ballardpublishing.com
Wed Sep 1 18:56:44 EDT 2004

> > This debate is never going to end but FWIW, here's a little Marketing
101:
> > Match or exceed your competitors' offers/features.

True, but there's an additional way to look at it.

For example,  Southwest Airlines initially did not focus on competing with
other airlines for existing business. Instead, they focused on what would
entice long-distance drivers into flying. They succesfully launched
themselves by selling airfare to people that would have otherwise driven for
their trips. Of course now they now compete across the board, but that's
what got them off the tarmac.

I would assume the 10-hour trial was based on some reasoning--some studies
of the target market? Personally, I detest time limits. Feels like a time
bomb is on my machine.  I would prefer a "Made with Trial version"
flagrantly stamped on top of all cards until a license is purchased.

John