db connection

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Wed Sep 1 06:11:12 EDT 2004

Le 1 sept. 04, à 01:33, Hershel Fisch a écrit :

>>> To see if postgres is running normally lauch the activity monitor
>>> app and search the postgres thread. To see if the "postgres" user is
>>> rightly set, test "su - postgres" at the shell prompt and, then if
>>> you are prompted for the password, type "postgres". If something
>>> goes wrong, postgres need to be reinstalled (prefer the Marc
>>> Liyanage's installer --
>>> <http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/>).
>> Sorry , don't know what and where the activity monitor is.
>> The su - postgres is ok.
>> And I did use entropy's installation.
>
> [Hershel-Fischs-Computer:~] hershel% su - postgres
> Password:
> [Hershel-Fischs-Computer:~] postgres% /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl stop -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/
> waiting for postmaster to shut down......done
> postmaster successfully shut down
> [Hershel-Fischs-Computer:~] postgres% /usr/local/bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -i
> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2004-08-31 19:11:05 EDT
> LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/C1E4D0
> LOG:  redo record is at 0/C1E4D0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> LOG:  next transaction id: 6911; next oid: 19457
> LOG:  database system is ready

OK, the database is cleanly loading and running. If you can't access it
from the Rev application, it can have to do with, at least :

- PHP not proeperly installed and configured in "httpd.conf"
- the tcp/ip sockets support is not actived in the "hba.conf" file of
the postgres server

Let me know the end ;)

Best, Pierre