Drag and Drop Question

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Oct 26 13:04:29 EDT 2004

Hi,

I want to create a drag and drop behavior between two objects in a Rev
app.  When the user clicks on one object I want some visual feedback
that they have started a drag and drop operation.  In this case I would
like to have a floating palette that follows the mouse around until the
user drops.  I would also like to use the built in drag and drop
behavior which allows you to set the dragData on mouseDown so that
objects receive the dragEnter/dragLeave/dragDrop messages.  These
messages allow me to hilite objects that will accept the drop.

So the problem I'm encountering is as follows.  It seems that once a
drag and drop operation begins messages are no longer sent (except
dragEnter/dragLeave/etc.) in the app until the operation is complete.
This makes it rather difficult to script a palette that follows the
mouse around.  I did a simple test to confirm this.  I made a stack
with a handler which puts new text into a field every 1/2 second.  When
I start a drag and drop operation the field text is not updated until
the drag drop operation has completed.  Is this just the way drag and
drop is or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

--
Trevor DeVore