long standing bugs....

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Mon Oct 25 22:32:45 EDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> The beta list is already public.  What did you expect the readers here
> to do?

--Vote for them maybe?? (just a guess...)

> > Bug#: 1525
> Win95 only; worth doing, but in the meantime will affect less than 2% of
> all computer users, and usually less than that for most Rev-based products.

--Perhaps, but it seems to me that either Win95 is supported -- as stated
by the company -- or it isn't.  I suspect that Win95 support is something
of the order of "make it Mac System 6 compatible", but when the company
seemingly says that Rev products are Win95 compatible, then they ought to
be, no?  Perhaps the company should include some Win95 caveats...

> These seem like worthwhile things to get done in good time, but they
> shouldn't be show-stoppers while they're outstanding.  If you're
> delivering a product you'll really want to spring for XP, as it's very
> different from earlier Win OSes and by far the most common OS.  If what
> you're building is just for personal use it should be easy enough to
> design around these for now.

--This brings up an interesting point for Rev in general and for DreamCard
in particular -- just what is the installed Win95 base, especially in K-12
education?  As more than a few K-8 institutions still have -- and use --
Apple ][s, (not that I'm suggesting that Rev support the Apple ][),
perhaps the Win95 installed edu base is large enough to  consider for
having Rev deployment issues fixed?  (I'm just guessing here; don't
really know but have a suspicion that, the lower the edu level goes,
the lower the hardware/OS limitations are).

Judy