help in Japanese text encoding

Namgyal Dolker dolker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 13:46:24 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am making a presentation of one Japanese instructor. I trying to
find how I can display both English and Japanese in a field.

When I use

set the unicodeText of field "question" to URL "binfile:Japanese
Demo/japaneseqa.txt"

(the text file is saved in unicode encoding).

It works fine. But that would take the whole file and display it. The
text file contains both English and Japanese.

This file is a mix of question and answers and I want to parse that
file and put in different fields.

When I use

set the unicodeText of field "question" to line 2 of URL
"binfile:Japanese Demo/japaneseqa.txt"

This seems to display only the Japanese and the English is gibberish.

In the transcript , it is written :-

"unicodeText of a field to a unicodeString that contains multiple
languages, Revolution automatically sets the textFont of double-byte
characters to the appropriate Unicode font. It also automatically
converts any non-Unicode text to single-byte characters by removing
the null byte used as padding. (This saves storage space, since
double-byte characters take twice as much space to store as
single-byte characters.)"

But how do I do that. Couldn't have find any resource on that.

Any help will be appreciated.

Namgyal