GeekSpeak Cheat Sheet

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Mon Oct 25 10:34:32 EDT 2004

This is all well and good, but you might do even better to convince
your students through a demonstration:

Come up with some "pseudo-substantial" project which would take
considerable time to build in any of the other tools, and show how
quickly it can be built in Rev during one of your early classes.

This would also serve as a good overview of the course content; only
give rough explanations of the features at this point, but use it as a
kind of "outline" of the course.  Impress them by doing it, rather than
by going into a deep explanation.

Also realize that there is some truth to the thought that Rev would not
be particularly useful for some types of programs: for intensive
calculations, Rev is *extremely* slow (this is yet another reason for
externals)...   but for building graphical front-ends for those
intensive calculations, for example (perhaps to an external or a
command-line tool produced in some other language like C or Ada) it is
quite excellent.  Note that Transcript process text "in bulk" at very
good speeds, but its calculation performance (even with all of the
appropriate speed boosts) is quite slow.  Show them why Rev is
extremely good for many types of programming tasks, but at the same
time, don't present it as something it is not.  Different tools and
languages are useful for different types of things.  I have some
background in C (which I hate), and in Pascal, Ada, Java, and BASIC,
and have used FORTRAN and C++ as well (I have a Master's degree in
Computer Science), but when called on to develop the project I am doing
right now, I realized that I could never have developed it with any
amount of quality within a reasonable time span using any of those
languages.  Rev is a very fast tool to develop in, and one of the most
important tools for most developers to have in their tool chain,
depending on the type of software being developed.

And no, I never had a class which even mentioned Rev in college...
Too bad, they don't know what they're missing.  I'll have to write to
one of the teachers sometime and tell them.