Lindows, video, and Rev

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Wed Oct 20 16:39:34 EDT 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 10:12 AM, Pierre Sahores wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Took 1 hour to see how it goes on Suse-Linux 8.2 Pro with video and i
> did'nt get clean usable results. Xanim, VLC, MPlayer and so on are not
> on the road to egal Quicktime in any way... Sorry, i will not go head
> with those Linux video tests... I use the Mac OS X QTSS platform for
> such kind of tasks and it's really a more powerfull paradigm.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Pierre

Pierre,

Thanks for giving it a try.  I appreciate your time spent.  I will now
report what I have learned.  Jacque told me that Rev is wired directly
to xanim only at this time.  Not sure what the vcPlayer property is
for.  Maybe it will have a use in the future.

I wish I could stick to Apple, but my distributor will pay me more for
a Linux version.  That was all I needed to hear.

I was able to get xanim compiled on my Lindows system.  That was a
learning experience.  Once I got that placed into the correct directory
/usr/bin  video capabilities were available.  This solution is not as
powerful as QT on Mac and Win though.  The player object does work
though and this made my life a lot easier.  I have filed an enhancement
to get mplayer interoperability with Rev as it is current and
supported.  Xanim appears to be dead in the water in regards to
support.

If anyone needs help compiling xanim, let me know.  I have a working
"makefile" that should speed up the whole setup process.

Now...if only Apple would port QT to Linux....hmmm

--
Best regards,
Mark Talluto