shell() bug in standalone

Derek Bump webmaster at dreamscapesoftware.com
Tue Oct 19 16:25:22 EDT 2004

In one of my programs I have scripted the shell so it will open the file "Help Topics.chm" when someone clicks the "Help Topics" menuitem in the "Help" menu.  It works fine in Revolution, but when in a standalone it will cause the processor to "think" for about a minute, launch the help file, then the standalone will crash.

I'm stumped!  Any ideas!  Here's the script...

on help
  set cursor to watch
  lock screen
  put the long name of this stack into helpLocation
  set itemDelimiter to "/"
  delete char 1 to 7 of helpLocation
  put "Help Topics.chm" into the last item of helpLocation
  if there is a file helpLocation then
    set the hideConsoleWindows to true
    if the shellCommand is "cmd.exe" then
      create alias "C:/Temp.lnk" to file helpLocation
      get shell("C:\Temp.lnk")
      delete file "C:/Temp.lnk"
    else
      get shell("start" && quote & helpLocation & quote)
    end if
  end if
  unlock screen
end help