Stack file size

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Wed Oct 13 13:38:14 EDT 2004

On Oct 13, 2004, at 10:20 AM, Lars Brehmer wrote:

> I've been searching the list archives, but can't seem to find an
> answer for this:
>
> A fairly intricate foreign language vocabulary trainer I've been
> working on for quite some time was getting really bloated, so I
> started to figure out why.  The main cause turned out to be the fact
> that I had 2 profiles, to make the interface bilingual.  This
> literally doubled the file size and wasn't really necessary, so I went
> back to just a Master profile.  At the same time I noticed that when I
> opened the standalone data stacks in Rev to make changes, just
> navigating around increased the file size!  No new cards or anything,
> just moving between cards and stacks.  I tested this out in the
> standalone, and after a session with no new cards, the data stack did
> indeed stay the same size.  But when I opened it in Rev and made about
> 100 button clicks (next card, open substack, open sub-substack, next
> card, close substack, etc) the stack file size had grown by 3 k, even
> though I compacted it and saved it from the menu.  I'll now try to
> open it in Rev as litttle as possible, but in the last few weeks I did
> quite a bit of work on it back in Rev and have absolutely no idea how
> much the file grew because of this.
>
> Does anyone know why the file size grows without me adding anything to
> it, and if so is there any way around this or anyway to get rid of the
> bloat this seems to have caused?

Take a look in your custom properties of your cards and/or controls.
There is a property called cRevGeneral that tracks certain things.
This custom property starts to grow in every control in your stack.
You will have to have the preference setting (Revolution UI elements
appear in lists of stacks) turned on.  This is found under the General
tab.

The quickest way to clean all that out is to use Chipps
revAltCleanStack plug-in.  It will go through and remove all those
custom properties with no ill effects (for my taste at least).

<http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/altPluginCover/about.htm>  Will put
you in the general location to get the plugin.

--
Best regards,
Mark Talluto