cmd.exe and command.com in Windows

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Mon Oct 11 11:48:57 EDT 2004

Chris,

First, if the customer gets pissed off by this problem, note well
that it's his fault for limiting things whether needed or not...
With Windows Policy you can today finegrain any access to any part
of the pc for any kind of user. Even without active directory which
goes even further down to the resource (in a matter of speaking).

Then again, undocumented features and bugs (as Im suffering everyday
whether in RunRev or in Windows or in Colin Mac Rae (stupid farging
program - don’t buy it!), it's up to the user to find a solution and not
always the programmer's fault because of client or user's limitations ;)

I don’t blame anyone really ;) I just avoid them ;)

Workaround? Can the "user" read the registry?

Otherwise, you can maybe do an install as an admin, have the stack
write down the results of the specialfolders to an ini file or in the
prefs stack (you choose) which can then be read innocently by the user.

It's a good compromise. Avoid hardcoding a path like that in your
app, regretable need for an update later when a simple "Prefs/options"
field  saved to a pref file would suffice.

But every client's discomfort is worth a few more hours in the bill ;)
Ferenguee Development rule number 45

Without looking up, I came to a close match ;))
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Rules%20of%20Acquisition

Take advantage of the situation that the client offers you!

Cheers
http://monsieurX.com