Modal dialogue "it"

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Oct 9 08:44:35 EDT 2004

>on keydown whichkey
>   put whichkey into field "response" of stack "dialog"
>   modal "dialog"
>   answer it
>   if not it contains "cancel" then send continueStuff to this card
>end keydown
>
>I put "answer it" there just as a test (so that Rev would show me
>what was put into "it" after the modal dialog stack closes), and it
>just answers with a blank window.

Hi Andrew,

A couple of things:

* The value of "it" does not persist between handlers; so having the
dialog OK button script place a value in the "it" variable in its
handler does NOT affect the value of "it" in the mainStack keyDown
handler.

* Be very careful about placing a "debugging" answer command after
any command that returns a value in "it".  Example:

	answer file "What file do you want to open?" -- "it" now
contains the file path
	answer  "You selected"&&it -- for debugging
	open file it --the value of "it" is now "OK"
--
Rob Cozens, Staff Conservator
Mendonoma Marine Life Conservancy

"Promoting a healthy and bountiful offshore environment."