Comparing Rev to other multimedia apps at NECC

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Tue Oct 5 14:25:48 EDT 2004

>If you could add something that shows off how easy it is to parse
>text ("get word 1 of item 2 of line 3") in Transcript the other
>languages will look anemic by comparison.

	put 0 into columnTotal
	repeat for each line textLine in someText
		add word 1 of item 2 of textLine to columnTotal
	end repeat

Note this can be posed as a "real-world" problem:

"The objective of this exercise is to calculate the total of a
specific sub-field in a file of comma-delimited text records.

Fields are separated by commas and sub fields are separated by spaces.

The exercise is to write a script to return the total of sub-field 1
of field 2 for all records in the file."
--
Rob Cozens, Staff Conservator
Mendonoma Marine Life Conservancy

"The challenge is to come up with new ways to balance the increase in
the number of people fishing with the need to reduce the number of
fish caught and killed.  The stocks can't sustain the increasing
pressure and the only way to ensure we will have fish in the future
is to leave more in the water now."

-- Federal Ocean Commissioner Andrew Rosenberg