Comparing Rev to other multimedia apps at NECC

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 5 12:31:44 EDT 2004

Marty Billingsley wrote:
> Hi --
>
> A group of educators are putting together a presentation for NECC
> (National Educational Computing Conference) in which we're going to
> compare six multimedia authoring tools: Flash, Squeak, CREATE Together,
> eZedia, Blackspace, and Runtime Revolution.
>
> We have one presenter per app; I'm championing Rev (of course) and want to
> show it off in its best light.  Each presenter will create a project that
> incorporates a common set of features.  So far we have:
> Add text
> Draw a graphic
> Add an image file
> Add a movie file
> Create an animation
> Add an animation file
> Use a logic feature
> (e.g., count until a specific number is reached, then take action)
> Assign actions to objects
> Assign selected interactive feature to an object
> (e.g., mouseover causes selected action)
>
> What else should we add; what can I suggest that will really set Rev off
> from the rest of the crowd? :-)

I think the QTVR support Tuviah added to Rev is quite impressive.  You
can navigate between nodes and set the tilt, pan, and zoom factors from
script.  You're welcome to use any of the QTVRs in my gallery in your
demo:  <http://www.fourthworld.com/services/qtvr/>

Also, being able to download stacks, images, and data dynamically from
any common web server is a great option, and one that only Flash in that
list can match.

 From a text processing standpoint, Rev is unique in that list for its
support of chunk expressions.  If you could add something that shows off
how easy it is to parse text ("get word 1 of item 2 of line 3") in
Transcript the other languages will look anemic by comparison.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation