QUESTION: How to get a remote directory file listing

Stephen Quinn Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Tue Oct 5 13:00:34 EDT 2004

Thanks to Andre Garzia for his little stack which answered most of my
questions...

For me, the main question answered is that the directory info back
from the URL command needs to be called twice and PARSED (we don't
get a simple list right away) and also the libURLSetFTPListCommand
libURL call must be used.

ALSO  everyone was quite right in saying that, of course, the FTP URL
is going to be a different path than an HTTP one.   Ideally, I'd like
to get everything through HTTP calls without sending pass/user but
then I'd have to parse the HTML that is happily provided by the web
server when a directory only request is made (and might be different
between server OS's.??)

Is that the way that all FTP clients work, by parsing plain text
returned from the FTP server?

I'm asking if FTP servers have no 'binary' mode for transferring
directory listings? -- it's all text except when exchanging data?

                      Stephen Barncard
            record production and surround mixing
             Email: mailto:stephen at barncard.com
                WEB http://www.barncard.com/