SourceForce like site for RunRev projects

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 3 00:27:30 EDT 2004

on Sat, 2 Oct 2004
Andre Garzia wrote:

> Guess who own the domain called wecode.org and is
> working in secrecy in
> this project for couple months already...
>
> Alejandro, the site will be ready very soon. Maybe
> ready for
> EuroRevDevConf.
on Sun, 3 Oct 2004
Keith Hutchison wrote:

> We use gforge as the backbone for REALopen.org.
> It was relatively simple to set up. Gforge is a code
> offshoot from
> SourceForge.
> http://gforge.org/
>
> It saved us months of work.

I visited REALopen.org and liked the site structure
and overall look. Nice job! :-)

on Sat, 02 Oct 2004
Richard Gaskin wrote:

> "not possible" may be a little strong.  After all,
> you cite SuperCard,
> and they generally use their Yahoo Group for trading
> files.  A lot of
> open source projects live at Yahoo Groups, including
> the MC IDE, libIPC,
> and others.

I'll like to see all them from one site. ;-)

> managing files is the easy part of running an open
> source project.  It
> can be as simple any a plain ol' file repository.
>
> But if you really want to encourage both efficient
> work and broad
> community, why not do it as a Rev stack?  After all,
> sooner or later
> you'll want to integrate it with your stack files
> anyway.

Agree wholeheartly, but i hope that the site
works as an incentive for open source developers
from other platforms (java, perl, python, etc)
to collaborate in these open source projects.

Most open source developers are eager to help
other open source projects, no matter the
platform of choice.

> I'd be happy to add a new section to RevNet for it
> if you think that
> would be helpful.  Since RevNet is bundled with Rev
> your stuff could be
> instantly available to everyone the moment you post
> it.  Drop me a note
> offline if that's of interest and we can work out
> the details.

I'll send you a note. :-)

> But whether RevNet or some other stack, ultimately
> the more useful
> component of such a project will be a stack rather
> than a browser page.

Yes, i agree. But...

>   It's HTTP you're after, not necessarily a separate
> browser application
> disconnected from your workflow.

...Http serves well as a diffusion platform for
the open source projects.

Thanks everyone for their responses!

al

=====