Encryption

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 1 15:42:26 EDT 2004

On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 12:26 PM, David Kwinter wrote:

> Using bf-ofb with a 41 char key (328bits) with 328bits specified for
> encryption, the source does not come back properly after decryption,
> instead it's garbage binary data.
>
> If I use "blowfish" instead of "bf-ofb", everything works fine up
> until 320bits, higher than that I get the error
> "error:06065064:digital envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal:bad > decrypt"
>
> Is anyone having better luck with this?

A little background on Blowfish. You might need to make the char keys
in increments of four char steps. Four chars is 32 bit, eight chars is
64 bit, twelve chars is 96 bit level encryption for instance. Some
algorithms need to clean up the number of chars before they are used as
a key. So 41 chars might be causing a problem only because it doesn't
conform to a 32 bit block size.

What happens with a 56 char key?

Mark