openCard message not received

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Oct 1 15:26:47 EDT 2004

Leston Drake wrote:
> If anyone has any explanations about what conditions cause this, I would
> be very interested.

RunRev would know, since they fixed it.  The tough part is finding a RR
employee with time to participate in this list. :)

> Also wondering if anyone knows of a "on firstIdle" type of event/message
> that could be handled instead of the openCard message

You could set a flag in a global, but that means your idle handler will
be wasting clock cycles several dozen times a second for the rest of
your app's runtime.

> Looking for work-arounds - I'm at the end of a year long project and am
> not too excited about doing a major upgrade that could potentially
> introduce all kinds of problems.

No workaround needed:  just upgrade to the current version and it's
taken care of for you.

Also, as you described this is not an issue in a standalone.  It was a
bug in the IDE, so it would only show itself if you plan to ship your
product as a stack file bundled with the Rev development environment,
and only an older version of Rev at that.

If you really need to get the older development environment to send that
message, you could make a simple stack that sends openCard to the
topstack.  Save this lil' stack to the Plugins folder and it'll always
be handily available.

But really, there were a *LOT* of bug fixes in v2.5 (the goal was a
majority of outstanding issues and the result was more like 70%).  The
simplest solution is to just use the current version.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation