Revolution Comment

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Nov 20 18:51:58 EST 2004

On 11/19/04 8:30 PM, "Timothy Miller" <gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com>
wrote:

>> Tim
>> My experience coming from Hypercard to Rev was completely the
>> opposite.  I was awed by how easy it was for someone who knew HC to
>> begin creating new stacks in Rev.  Within a day, I was happily
>> creating new stacks and exploring how Rev worked.  And perhaps that
>> explains why my experience was different from yours--rather than try
>> to convert my old stacks, I simply started by creating new ones.
>>
>> The only thing I had trouble getting my head around was how to
>> create HC-like backgrounds for cards. And, of course, the IDE takes
>> a little getting used to.
>>
>> In any event, you might find life easier if you started by creating
>> new stacks instead of trying to convert old ones.  Then, once you
>> have the hang of it, you can try the conversions.  Worth considering
>> anyway.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Marian
>
> Hi Marian,
>
> I appreciate your attempts to cheer me up, but I don't think you
> understand my situation. Imagine ten stacks. Imagine one background
> in one of those stacks. 111 background fields, 64 background buttons.
> The bg script and stack script are full. Imagine one bg button whose
> script contains 27000 characters. Not every background, button or
> stack is that extreme, of course, but you get the idea.
>
> No, I don't think I'll be re-writing from scratch.

To be fair, I don't think Marian was suggesting rewriting your complex stack
from scratch, but rather to start fresh with a new idea and a new stack and
"explore".

> I understood that some conversions would be necessary. I had no idea
> that Revolution would be so "feature rich." That makes my job
> somewhat more difficult. Personally, I'd prefer the basic hyperCard
> feature set transoportable to OS X and Windows XP. If I could add
> additional features, at need, with drop-in externals or something
> like that -- that would be cool. I guess the developers had a
> different business plan.

True. But you have a very good suggestion - perhaps someone (RunRev or
otherwise) will come up with a "wrapper" to Revolution which will do that.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com