Multicolumn Printing (Text Flow)?

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Mon Nov 15 16:06:02 EST 2004

I'm reasonably certain I'm going to have to jury-rig something to get
this working, but just in case anyone is aware of some easy (or easier)
solution, I thought it might be a good idea to ask...

I need to generate a printout featuring a header, a footer, and two
columns of body text in between.  The body text is coming from a single
body of text (in other words, on data entry, it is entered as one long
data entry in a single field, but when printed I need to split it into
two columns).  This is paragraph-style data, so I can hardly just count
lines and split in half or anything...

My best guess is to create separate fields for the left and right
columns and somehow figure out where to split the text so that I can
fit the text neatly into the two columns.  Does anyone know of an easy
way to figure out where to split this?

It would be even better if Rev had a feature to allow "overflow" text
from a field to be continued automatically into another field, as many
page layout programs do...  maybe I'll have to suggest it as an
enhancement sometime.  Meanwhile, any easy way to figure this out for a
semi-arbitrary (styled) text input?  Note that the text should
generally be the same size -- I do not want the typeface or text size
changed from my defaults, only bold/italic/underline, which I would
capture as htmlText.

Thank you!

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
everlasting life.