Quictime Controller Scripts Failing on Windows

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Nov 12 16:26:24 EST 2004

Scott, Thanks for the recommendation.

I seemed to get better results at first.  in the application already
has applied a path to the player and the my application was open in the
background... I downloaded the latest QT 6.5.2 for windows, installed
and was getting better results: setting the currently time propertly
was not stopping the player.  But i had a couple of other scripting
issues so I went back to my Mac, fixed a few things, cleared all
fields, including the path to the mp3 file for the player and then
saved, zipped, went to the PC downloaded the new version of my app.

OK now... the field I have that shows the path the the file that is set
to the player is empty and I click my button that says "Select an Audio
file to Play" which has this script:

global theTape
on mouseUp
   put empty into fld "theTotalTime"
   answer file "Locate the sound file you want to transcribe."&\
       "(Must be playable by QuickTime)"  with "OK"
       if it is empty then exit mouseUp
   put it into theTape
   put theTape into fld "soundfile"
   set the filename of player "theTape" to theTape
   answer "Are you finished with the last one? If so, shall I clear the
header info?" with "No" or "Yes"
   if it is "Yes" then
   clearHeader
   end if
   send postTime to this stack in 10 seconds
end mouseUp

New problem: Now, this works fine on the Mac but on the PC, the
controller appears (finally!) but it is "quivering" blinking rapidly in
the background and my dialog box to query the user about clearing the
header fields for the previous transcription opens up and is frozen...
the OK and "NO" buttons are there, but if I click them, nothing
happens, the app is frozen.

OK, so now: one question:

--If a player is set to an MP3 on windows and QT is not installed, does
some other Windows app try to play it? I thought Rev *only* played
media with QT on all platforms, no matter what.

OK, now back to finding out what is causing the app to hang... I
suspect it goes back to an old problem: Rev or QT on Windows cannot
read the current time or timescale of a player that has not been
started, but on the Mac, it can... so my "postTime" is causing the app
to hang because I haven't started the player yet.... whew!

<OT-frustrated rant>How in the world MS ever convinced people to use
windows and why more people aren't using Mac, is a total mystery... I
guess it's just a pricing matter. we have been running 20 macs here for
nearly 20 years ever since the first apple II come out, the amount of
down time and wasted time caused by the platform is miniscule, but the
moment we touch a windows machine... hours of productive time start to
drain out the back door. </OT-frustrated rant> ;-)