Appliction launch no dock or task bar notification.

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Nov 4 10:39:37 EST 2004

> I have a RR application witch is launched (created) from inside
> another (similar to open process).  However, I do not want it to have
> a Task-Bar, Dock, GTK Doc icon.  In fact I do not want the user to be
> aware of it's presents graphically in any way (ps and process viewer
> is fine).  How is this accomplished in RR for  3 platforms at this
> time Windows OS X and Linux?
>

> Kevin

Here's message I posted on the last last summer describing how to do
this for OS X. I suspect each platform will have its own procedure.

=============
Ken Ray has this tip posted on his Web Site
(http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/metacard/tips/proc003.htm)

--quote

  To hide an application process in OS X, open the Info.plist file in
the Contents folder of the application package. Add this to the <dict>
section (it doesn't seem to matter where):

<key>NSBGOnly</key>
<string>1</string>

  Doing this will remove the process from the Dock, and from any menus
that list active (visible) processes. To show it again, you can either
put in a 0 instead of a 1 for the <key>, or you can remove the whole
thing.

--end quote

I tried it and it didn't work, then I noticed in the mail list archive
that this apparently was broken in Panther. I searched Apple Developer
web site and discovered that the name of the key has been changed to
LSUIElement.

So insert the following to create a faceless application (one that
doesn't appear in Force Quit list or in Dock):

<key> LSUIElement </key>
<string>1</string>

It's best to use the Property List Editor application to do this rather
than a text editor.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University