Application Icons in Mac classic

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Fri May 28 13:44:25 EDT 2004

On Thursday, May 27, 2004, at 10:31  AM, Mark Brownell wrote:

> I discovered this:
>
>> I'm on to it now, check this out:
>> http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/268e.htm
>> Files Appear with Generic Icons in the Finder Troubleshooting Guide
>
> Just need to find a virgin mac classic... (Jokes start here)  I'm too
> lazy to dump the extension file, as recommended by the advice at that
> website mentioned above.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

No need to do all this. I have it working now. The trick is to assign
an Icon at the time of building your standalone Mac Classic app, then
open that app in ResEdit.

1.) Find the item "RSTK" and delete it.

2.) Change both 128 & 129 Icons to the ones you want.

3.) Open the "FREF" item.

4.) Click on 128.
    a.) it should read File Type "APPL"
    b.) Icon Local ID = "0"

5.) Click on 129.
    a.) if it reads File Type "RSTK"
    b.) change it to read File Type "Your four letter code here"
    c.) Icon Local ID = "1"

6.) Click on 130.
    a.) it should read File Type "Your four letter code here"
    b.) Icon Local ID = "0"
    c.) change this to Icon Local ID = "1"

7.) Rebuild the desktop.

Note: Local ID = "0" is the app (128)