IDE Interference (not just a another rant)

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Fri May 28 11:42:00 EDT 2004

Xavier,

> Monte, I saw that MC was also afflicted with thi issue. But IMOHO the
> Rev
> messaging
> should not interfere with applications in development - As I developped
> XOS, I used
> extensively the HC messaging to intercept all stack events from the
> hierarchy top -
> much like frontscritps would and will soon - the key point was not to
> interfere with other
> stacks and this required particular checks everywhere...

If MC is afflicted, then how is Rev messaging the problem? You mean the
engine messaging you don't like? Comparing HC on save issues is really
apples and oranges, although I don't know if it would be very happy
either running off of a slow network disk.

> In a multicard environment, a single card script would not sufice - if
> read you right...
> That's why it was in the stack script. Note that there is an advantage
> in
> this feature...
> It simulates the HC saving which was part of its robustness...
>
> The problem was:
> - saving over the network is 100 times slower...
> - choosing a tool or changing a property sent a save which I forgot was
> there causing these freezes...

It sounds to me like what we should really be doing is having a to the
point discussion of the crashes, not the saving mechanism.

What do you expect Rev to do... speed up your network? If you're going
to write an auto-save handler that kicks in every time you click
around, and you're saving to a slow network volume, well...

Can you not write to the local volume at all? If you can, how about
auto-saving to the local volume and then periodically uploading to the
network instead of writing your whole stack to the network on every
other click?

- Brian