IDE Interference (not just a another rant)

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Wed May 26 04:36:17 EDT 2004

Dear fellow RR developpers...

I just noticed 4 days ago that a minute stack was really slow.

Tracking it down wasn't much help because the message
watcher threw me off thinking the problem was the TableManager
(sorry Jan)... Besides the fact that the message watcher is nearly
useless, it throws in all the RR's messages to confuse you and
doesn't tell you where the message came from... The more stacks
or windows (scritp editors for ex.) you open, the more messages you
get to confuse you...

Anyway, my stack was really slow all the time and the problem was
untraceable... Then I noticed that a message suspendstack was
saving the stack at each suspendstack... Nothing wrong there
except that whenever I went to the revprops or revtools or revmenu
palette, my stack would get a suspendstack event!!!!!!!!!!

Since RR is ultra slow, ultra-cpu-hog, I couldn't be get more and
more irritated... On a 2.8 MHz P4 512MBs, this is a shame, and
a real bummer for productivity...

Why would a 10 K stack take 5 seconds to save and hog your CPU
at 55 % (or 99% hog on a 1.8MHz P4...)?

IS THAT NORMAL?

This is NOT normal behavior and I believe we are all affected!

Any solutions or suggestions to avoid this kind of IDE interference?

The message watcher is also showing lots of events that dont
seem pertinent to the environment/moment - lots of reveditscript
messages (a script window is opened) but im not editing the script
currently. Incidentally this is the @%)*@&#)%*( message I cannot
use in the plug-ins to use my own script editor which despite all my
bug reporting is still light years ahead of RR's (not to mention an
improved message and variable watcher that really work in MC
for years now)

Obviously RR's plug-ins are  irrelevant and futile since they haven't
been fixed for years...

What is really frustrating is that all these messages interfere with
normal stack operations - suspendstack in the occurence...

My question is whether there is a way to STOP them and have a
minimum environment like MC in order to trace real stack problems
and not RR's interference? Note the debug mode is needed and
can't be done without.

- No offense meant - sorry for the lack of professional wording, I
just wanted to say what I think in all honesty and without any
dumbfounded unrealistic diplomacy. You and I are loosing
precious time due to these problems and most dont notice...

Last but not least, please reply to this thread if you want RR's IDE
to improve - Im sure RR's great developpers will notice that
something IS wrong... Quality is not just a GUI feature... Unfortunately
this is not a real bugzilla matter... and I would assume it would be
disregarded as a functional requirements. So a little public motion
may help us all I hope...

Regards, and long live RR!
Xavier

PS: when will this subscription list adhere to standards and strip the
CC's and other non-subscription list emails? Do you like SPAM, and
mis-forwards to the wrong persons? I suppose it's normal... ;)

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER