Web links in software

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed May 12 19:32:31 EDT 2004

curry wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>>  Google for "deep linking" for more detailed background.
>

> Thank you so much! I had no idea where to start for finding out this one.

You're welcome.  It's come up a lot with some stuff in development here,
but reading the links sometimes brings up more questions than answers.

Thankfully an increasing number of sites include a Terms of Service page
with contact info for anything not granted there.  For example, on
Google's own Terms of Service page at
<http://news.google.com/terms_of_service.html>:

     The Google Services are made available for your personal,
     non-commercial use only. You may not use the Google Services
     to sell a product or service, or to increase traffic to your
     Web site for commercial reasons, such as advertising sales.
     You may not take the results from a Google search and reformat
     and display them, or mirror the Google home page or results
     pages on your Web site. You may not "meta-search" Google.
     If you want to make commercial use of the Google Services,
     you must enter into an agreement with Google to do so in
     advance. Please contact us for more information.

Like so many TOSes, the safe rule for deep-linking seems to be "When in
doubt, ask."

Hmmm....reminds me that I don't have a TOS at my own site....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation