finally keyword changed since 1.5 ?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed May 12 13:38:45 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, May 12, 2004, at 07:53 AM, Klaus Major wrote:

> this line will exit ANY handler immediately!
> So there is no "finally" processed... ;-)
>

> From the docs:
>
> exit to top
>
> Halts the current handler and all pending handlers.
> Use the exit to top control structure to stop executing the current
> handler and
> suppress pending messages.
>> Is this a bug (Tuviah, Scott) ?
> Although i am not Tuviah or Scott, i don't think this is a bug ;-)

I'm not either.  (Well, I'm not "the" Scott.)

I think the behavior of 'exit to top' in a 'try' is a separate issue to
what happens to a non-normal exit to a catch section in general.

Consider this:

on mouseUp
   try
     exit to top
   catch e
   finally
     answer "Finally"
   end try
end mouseUp

On my system, Rev 2.2, OS X 10.2.8, I get to the 'finally'.  It might
not work that way on Jan's.

I think we have a difference of opinion on what should happen here.  I
think the 'finally' should be executed.  I understand your position to
be that it should not be.

Whatever it is, it should be documented.

Dar Scott