Bezier curves

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Mon May 10 12:17:00 EDT 2004

>Message: 7
>Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 19:46:06 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Alejandro Tejada <capellan2000 at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Bezier curves
>To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>
>Jim Hurley wrote:
>
>>  A single bezier line--two end
>>  points only--is about 50 K!
>>  A bezier line with 10 segments is 500 K.
>
>That's exactly what i suspect!
>
>Could you implement the bezier code as a backscript?
>
>In this way, every object could refer to this
>backscript code, not their own
>script of many lines.
>
>>  As a work-around, to reduce the size, I have added a
>
>>  button to the bezier plug-in which converts any
>>  bezier curve to a simple line graphic.
>>  It takes each of the bezier line groups and
>>  concatenates their graphic points to form a single
>>  graphic line and deletes all the controls and their
>>  scripts.
>
>This is great!!!
>
>Could you store all the locations of startpoint
>endpoint, first control point and second control point
>within a custom property of the polygon graphics?
>
>In this way you could restore these points if the user
>needs to edit the line as a bezier graphic.
>
>SVG, PDF and Adobe Ilustrator file formats have
>defined these characteristics of their vector
>graphics.
>
>What could be better?
>
>SVG, PDF or Adobe Ilustrator
>notation format for this custom property?

Al,

A lot of the file-size problems were resolved when I remembered Chipp
Walter's revAltCleanStack utility.

I had worked on my bezier stack, off and on, for a couple of weeks.
Chipp points out that, as you work on a stack, there is an
accumulation of IDE information stored in a custom RR property called
cREVGeneral .

Clearing that info reduced my original stack from 636 K to 184 K, a
savings of 71% !!!!!!!

This clearing is taken care of by RR when one builds a stand alone.
(I had thought it was also done with each save, but, apparently, not
so.) But if one is building a utility, or a personal stack for use
within the  RR IDE, one is unaware of this buildup. I think it would
be worthwhile for RR to re-introduce the "compact stack" menu item
from HC, but this time use it to clear  cREVGeneral.  (I have added
Chipp's utility to my plug-in folder.)

Clearing cREVGeneral has reduced the compact version of my bezier
plug-in to 28 K.

I think your suggestion of using a back script is surely the right
way to go. One might store all the scripts used in common in the
first  bezier group, and then pass the owner of the various controls
to these back scripts as a parameter.

As I have said before, the thing I miss most from SuperCard was the
ability to cut and paste graphics generated in Super Card into Free
Hand (or Illustrator.) I think RR is working on this.

(snip)

>Look for yourself in this file:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/capellan2000/Graphic_Tools_v01beta.zip

I couldn't get this stack to work for me. I kept getting error
messages--object not found. Maybe it is a Meta Card thing. Or, more
likely, the way I am using it.

Pity. This is an intriguing stack!!!

Jim