Create alias from CDROM to desktop?

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Fri May 7 05:12:19 EDT 2004

At 12:39 06.05.2004 -0500, you wrote:
> > > I've got a CD-ROM that has a Revolution app running on it,
> > and I want
> > > that Revolution app to create an alias, pointint to itself to the
> > > user's desktop. I know that I can use the defaultFolder to find the
> > > path to the app, and I know I can use "the
> > specialFolderPath" to find
> > > the path to the desktop.  Can anyone tell me how I could pass these
> > > parameters to Applescript to perform the alias creation?
> > Will I run
> > > into issues with the difference in how Applescript vs. Rev
> > handles the
> > > "/Volumes/" string, or how the CD-ROM path is formed?
> >
> > Is there a reason you can't use the create alias command in Rev?
>
>Yes, unfortunately there's a bug in Bugzilla (#1059) about the inability to
>make aliases to apps in OS X because they are "folders", and 'create alias'
>only works with files.

I do not know about OS X, but on Windows it works (sorry for the text size,
copied from MC):

   put specialfolderpath("desktop")  into skrbord
   set itemdel to "/"
   if the platform = "win32" then put item 1 of skrbord into hd

   --Creates a folder "/DysEngMP/" on C :

   put hd &  "/DysEngMP/" into mappe
   if there is no folder mappe then create folder mappe

   ---Creates alias on desktop:
   put skrbord &"/DysEngMP.lnk" into snarvei

   create alias(snarvei) to file mappe  --"file" is used even for a folder

Regards
Signe Marie Sanne

1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
Øisteins gt. 1
5007 Bergen             http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/hjem/default.html
Norway