"Engine" versus "Player

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Tue Mar 30 19:12:40 EST 2004

Sivakatirswami wrote:

>Well, Jim, this is a very simple thing to do.....and lots of Rev pros
>are already doing this...but, like so many things in Rev... hard to
>find any place where it is all documented in a "visual" way you can get
>a grip on...
>
>Thanks to
>
>Richard K. Herz
>
>for:
>
>http://reactorlab.net/intro/rich_client.html

(snip)

Key N. wrote:

>Well, the actual Main stack _contains_ the engine, and is, therefore, the
>player.
>
>Richard has proposed putting an error dialog in it, in case the platform
>lacks enough memory it will hopefully quit with the dialog so the user isn't
>totally mystified what happened, and use a separate (removeable, if you
>like) splash substack window, UI substacks, data substacks, etc. for the
>main program elements.
>
>Don't forget to include libraries or plugins you want to use in your apps.
>Is that what you mean by "Player"?
>
>Ken N.

Sivakatirswami and Ken,

I had read the article by Richard Herz. Excellent. Very excellent!

Using it I had put together a stack (standalone player stack with
engine and a collection of secondary stacks (not substacks.) It all
worked rather well I thought. But it isn't nearly as generic as what
I think you have done. My player stack has one card with a set of
buttons (and so more than just a splash screen) which call up the
secondary stacks, each one devoted to a different topic.

My problem may be just the simple technology of dropping a stack on
the player stack. Is there any trick to this? Is this just the same
as dropping a document on MS Word to open it? I think I am exposing
my level of naivete here.

I tried to run http://www.himalayanacademy.com/runrev/ but it still
downloading (actually stuck) in Explorer--after 20 minutes. It may be
a Mac thing.

I am puzzled by a Run Rev Player which I understand RR is working on.
How would such a player differ from the simple splash screen?

Thanks for bringing this up.

Jim