"Engine" versus "Player"

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Mar 30 13:00:25 EST 2004

OK, I went for "Player" and wrapped up a first draft.

Well, Jim, this is a very simple thing to do.....and lots of Rev pros
are already doing this...but, like so many things in Rev... hard to
find any place where it is all documented in a "visual" way you can get
a grip on...

Thanks to

Richard K. Herz

for:

http://reactorlab.net/intro/rich_client.html

which is so far, the best documented resource for describing the whole
approach.

You are welcome to see the first draft, that's going out to beta
testing as we speak.  I'm sure it's very primitive and has lots of UI
issues from a professional point of view, (we feel like a child next to
the likes of Richard Gaskin et al the other wizards) but it works (I
hope).

At the moment this is not being distributed to the general public, but
has a very specific use which is to  provide an engine for remote
staff/collaborators for whom I can issue other tool kits by email or
from our intranet server, as very small .rev stacks that I can update
easily as needed.

  I tried to ferret out Richard's RevNet... but it was so far over my
head (backscripts inside buttons... stuff like that)  I just put this
together as best I could... using the KISS approach to programming
("keep it simple stupid")  I also  threw in the "Stack Index" which
downloads a 5-year old "HA Portal" stack that hasn't been updated for a
long time but will be one day.

There are two standalones built for OSX and Windows and I just now put
up the 55 K .rev stack if you want to "look inside"

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/runrev/

Any insights on improvements welcome. Especially any "gotchas" that I
don't see...

Sivakatirswami