"Engine" versus "Player"

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Mar 29 19:43:12 EST 2004

I'm wondering if the  visionaries of the rev community who have a
broader experience  than most of us about Rev's marketing/brand name
positioning have any opinions about the nomenclature for splash screen
standalones players that are designed to drive any number of different
stacks.

My current implementation allows a stack to be dropped on a splash
screen and added to a favorites list and saved in a prefs file on the
hard drive for that particular platform. i.e. it's not tied to any
particular app.

We plan to distribution these here and there, and  we will find such
phrases as

"Himalayan Academy Revolution Player"
or
"Himalayan Academy Stack Engine"

ending up on web pages, interfaces, in emails, on CD's, in Read Me's
and "Help" and "About"  and perhaps one day even in print media and in
class rooms...

Given that there will be a large percentage of IT "nerds" exposed to
the new technology in the process... (our audience will includes LOTS
of Indian software people and their children --most of whom have been
"eaten alive" by MS in terms of their tool set)  it seems worthy of
some attention, and perhaps a general consensus so we might all do the
same thing? I see Scott Rossi tending toward "Player..."

What does everyone think is best?

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery