'add' Page NOT Screen vs Page vs Card!!

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Mar 29 15:41:44 EST 2004

On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 01:14 PM, John Rule wrote:

> I don't know why this subject has taken a 'card' bashing tone...I
> simply
> asked if we could please implement the use of 'page' IN ADDITION TO
> 'card'...get it?
>
> :-(

I think the assumption is that such a suggestion is disrespectful to
"card".  Even if "page" was used in discussion and was not even added
to the language, that seems to be offensive.

I don't think anybody has taken on a 'card' bashing position.

The problem is that even your simple suggestion is taken as being
against non-programmers.  I find the notion that anybody who is not
bowing down to the word 'card' is against non-programmers to be
offensive.

For my part, and in particular, I have never seen John take a
programmer elitist position and I don't intend to take such a position
either.  John didn't ask for me to speak up, and probably would have
preferred I did not, but the name-calling upset me and I found no basis
for it.  This was no simple discussion of ideas in which an opinion of
some idea was that it was elitist.  It was a completely unfounded
attack on another.  I addressed that as kindly as I could and with
humor, but I don't think that got to the card priesthood.

The card is a useful metaphor.  Once it become an idol or a stick to
hurt others, it gets in my way.

Dar Scott