Screen vs Page vs Card

j j at clsdesignassociates.com
Mon Mar 29 08:02:47 EST 2004

> Those who don't know something about programming cling to metaphors
> they understand.

Maybe.  So they should be excluded from exploring programming?  That
smacks of elitism.  I sincerely hope I am just reading it wrong.  One
is bound to run into plenty of HyperCard fanatics (myself included) who
will oppose such elitism with great enthusiasm.

> How does card apply?  Who today knows what a 5X3 card is?

Anyone who *doesn't* know what a 3x5 index card is either needs to (1)
tutoring and a spanking.  :)

> Is it really less ordered than a book?

Yes, cards are much less ordered than a book.  The pages in books are
bound in a single linear fashion and can't be reordered.  The whole
reason you are supposed to take notes (for a research project, report,
speech, etc.) on index cards is that they can be reordered, grouped in
different ways.  It is part of the thought process in doing research,
writing a speech, etc.  People who just sit down and start with a draft
miss the most important step: challenging their way of thinking to see
new connections, form new lines of thought, create new mental paradigms
regarding the topic at hand.  But I digress...

> "Do you mean card as in a module that is plugged in, that is, like a
> board that is plugged into a computer?"

A medical secretary at her desk in 1989 using HyperCard stacks to
administer patient data never asked this question.  A retiree using
HyperCard to document his stamp collection that same year never asked
it, either.  Or a teen creating files on her LP collection.  Amateur
chef and his recipes.  These are the people who used HyperCard, not
hardcore programmers.

J.