(long) Transparent IDE elements and other problems

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Sun Mar 28 14:27:02 EST 2004

On Sunday, March 28, 2004, at 05:49  PM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> From: Brian Yennie <briany at qldlearning.com>
> Subject: Re: (long) Transparent IDE elements and other problems
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> If your iBook disk is thrashing, it is most likely a memory issue:
> you're probably hearing memory being swapped furiously to disk, which
> also in turn is going to degrade performance exponentially.
>
> Have you tried running a memory utility to see how much is being used?
>
> With all this said, and my (hopefully polite) disagreement to some of
> your design decisions, I'd be really curious to see some of this
> firsthand- it's certainly dug up some spirited discussion. Would you be
> willing to share a copy offlist?

I'm pretty sure it's not a thrashing issue -- I've got 650MB, and the
numbers were similar after several runs of each (and as I said, not
the code, and I'll send him a slimmed down version that shows the
problem and we'll see if they can find anything.

I'll be posting a beta version of the product in the next couple of
days, OSX first, followed by Windows a couple of days later.  I'd be
happy for you to try it out and let me know how it works for you.

By the way, is it ok to announce betas on this list?

Best,
-- Frank