Remote Find Questions

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Mar 27 12:46:54 EST 2004

Paul, et al:

>Two questions:
>1. Are all the record types contiguous (are all of the customer records
>together or scattered thoughout the database)?

They occupy contiguous ordinal positions based on ascending key value
within that record type.

>2. What are you doing with the results of the find (bringing up info from one
>record or producing a list of all cards fitting the find criteria)?

Depends:

In single user mode the search finds all hits (or the maximum number
specified by the user) and then returns the list.

In client/server mode, each hit is returned to the client side and
requests to resume the search from the record following the hit are
issued until the specified search range has been completely
checked...then the list is displayed in the search dialog and control
is returned to the user.

The latter is designed to prevent one client's search request from
tying up the server for an extended period of time; however the
present find command syntax leaves the design vulnerable to a search
of the entire db if no hit is found in the search range.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company