Remote Find Questions

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Mar 27 12:34:14 EST 2004

>Assume each card has a custom property "recordType" that defines the
>type of record for the data on that card.
>
>unmark all cards
>mark cards where the recordType = "foo"
>mark cards where fld fldName contains yourSearch

Frank & Wouter,

I really appreciate your suggestions, and I will look into the issue
further and report back...but that will be another day.

I need to look at Wouter's handlers in more detail; off the top of my
head, Frank, my objection to marking cards is based on my assumption
that such logic essentially "touches" every card in the stack.  I am
already maintaining an index to the database stack; so I know at the
start where I want the search to begin and where I would like it to
end.  I say "where I would like it to end" because find won't stop
looking at a certain card if it hasn't found a hit.

I realize that marking the cards limits the subsequent search; but so
what, if I have already had to touch all cards to unmark them?

I haven't heard anybody else jump on board here; but it seems to me
that, compared to:

   find [form] textToFind [in field]
,
   find [form] textToFind [in field] [of card startCard to endCard]
[of stack anyStack]

Offers more utility and potentially significantly better performance
when searching a small subset of cards in a large stack.

BTW, Wouter, the largest SDB db I've run is 43,043 records...and that
was just for a size test.  The main point I was trying to show was I
essentially NEVER have a need to search the entire db, and the search
scope could often amount to less than 5% of the total cards in the
stack.

--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company