(long) Transparent IDE elements and other problems

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Sat Mar 27 04:11:21 EST 2004

> Anyway, the biggest problem I've come across so far is that a group
> can be at most 32000 pixels high, which effectively limits my "slides
> plus EXIF" template to 137 templates stacked vertically.  Really
> there's no reason RunRev shouldn't be able to support multi-thousands
> of images on screen simultaneously so that one need not resort to
> hokey hacks to display large amounts of data.

FWIW- I don't really want to argue for either method here, but it's not
really a hokey hack. Most modern list managers, spreadsheets, and
anything else that wants to display a lot of data pages the data
through a fixed number of elements in some fashion: you'd be in a lot
of trouble if your database manager loaded 2 millions rows to be
prepared for your scrolling... so while it may work for your
application, paging data and "faking out" the user is actually more
like standard memory-saving practice.

- Brian