Remote Find Questions

Wouter wouter.abraham at pi.be
Fri Mar 26 17:45:34 EST 2004

On 26 Mar 2004, at 22:12, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:03:54 -0700
> From: Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net>
> Subject: Remote Find Questions
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> Hi All,
>
> In my (hopefully) last tweak of the actual SDB drivers I have focused
> on getting all handlers that access the database stack to do so
> "remotely"...ie:
>
> 	get field "Record" of card id recordId of stack dbStack
>
> instead of
>
> 	lock screen
> 	lock messages
> 	push card
> 	go to card id record of stack dbStack
> 	get field "Record"
> 	pop card
> 	unlock messages
> 	unlock screen
>
> And I have succeeded in accomplishing this for all commands except
> for one: searchSDBRecords.  searchSDBRecords uses the find command,
> and, as I read the Transcript Dictionary, the find command can only
> be applied to the current stack.

Hi Rob

finding remotely:

  set the defaultStack to <stacktobesearched>
if twhole is true then  find whole tstring
else  find tstring
  if the result is "not found"
   then  .......
else ......
end if

Other possibility in case your records are kept on cards
(no repeat loop needed to find all instances)

mark cards where fld < fldName > contains searchstring
or
mark cards by finding searchstring [in fld <fldName>]

> Q1:  Is this correct?
>
> Q2:  Is there a more elegant workaround than above?
>
> Q3:  Is anyone aware of a Bugzilla request for the capability to
> apply the find command "remotely"?
>
> TIA,
> --
>
> Rob Cozens
> CCW, Serendipity Software Company
> http://www.oenolog.net/who.htm
>
> "And I, which was two fooles, do so grow three;
> Who are a little wise, the best fooles bee."
>
> from "The Triple Foole" by John Donne (1572-1631)

HTH
Greetings,
WA