[OT] RE: counter++ versus

Kevin nnoydb at excite.com
Fri Mar 26 11:04:26 EST 2004

A definition my assist in understanding of TIL.

To define a TIL it is necessary to view it in the context of translation. A translator is a computer program which converts source language into target language. Each language has well-defined semantic and syntactic constructs. If the source languag is FORTRAN of C abd the target language is assembly or machine language, the translator us known as a compiler. If the source language is assembly language and the target language is machine language, the translator is known as a assembler.

An interpreter for a source language accepts the source language as input and executes it directly. It does not produce a target language but translates directly to an action. A pure interpreter will analyze a source language statement each time it is executed. Fortunately, these beast are rare. Most interpreters actually employ 2 phases. The first phase translates the source language to an intermediate language or internal form. The second phase then interprets or executes the internal form. The internal form is designed to reduce subsequent analysis and execution time. Most BASIC intrepreters do exactly this, with the first phase occuring during the program input/edit and the second phase occurring at run time.

A threaded code interpreter produces a fully analyzed internal form. The internal form consists of a list of addresses of previously defined internal form. The list is threaded together during the first translation pahase. The first phase is remarkably similar to that of a compiler and is generally called the comple mode. During execution the interpreter executes consecutive internal forms without preforming ant analyses or searches, since both were completed before execution.

MORE ON TIL IF YOU WISH LATER IN THE DAY BUT I MUST GO.

KEVIN

Continuation....

If the concept is extended to include a broad class of forms a method of interacting with the interpreter, a threaded interpretive language (TIL) results.  TILs are characterized by extensibility since they have the full power of the compile mode to augment their existing internal forms.

Is further information necessary?

-==-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-
Disclaimer:

Any resemblance between the above views and those of my
employer, my terminal, or the view out my window are purely
coincidental.
Any resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic.

 The question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold
them
is left as an exercise for the reader. The question of the existence of
the reader
 is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient.
(A discussion of non-orthogonal, non-integral polytheism is beyond the
scope of this article.)