waveforms + more rants about Rev as a dev. tool for the future

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 25 12:34:21 EST 2004

Robert Brenstein wrote:

> IMHO the way to continue supporting the base users as well as
> advanced users is through add-on libraries and plugins. And I don't mean
> only those coming from RunRev itself but from 3rd parties. However, the
> developers of such libraries must be able to get money for them if they
> wish. Look for example at REALbasic and the zillion of plugins offered
> for it, some free, some shareware, some commercial. We got several
> fantastic libraries from a few montivated Rev users but it is not
> enough. RunRev could put some effort into addressing issues and
> obstacles and encourage such efforts in various ways.

Part of the issue is perceptual:  while there are a great many valuable
libraries for Rev from third parties like Shao Sean, Chipp Walters, and
others, most of those are in RevNet and on the author's web site but not
at download sites like Tucows, VersionTracker, etc.

With some other development systems everytime an author sneezes in that
language they make a press release and post the sneeze to VersionTracker.

Thus far, the only Rev components I've seen at VersionTracker were Blue
Mango's QuickTime externals.  Few if any of the other dozens of
libraries and tools posted in RevNet have also been posted to
VersionTracker, and I rarely see press releases for such things.

I believe there's a developer liason at RunRev who would be happy to
issue joint releases for such things.  If you put out a library consider
dropping a note to Heather to see what would be needed to issue a joint
press release.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation