waveforms + more rants about Rev as a dev. tool for the future

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Mar 24 10:29:17 EST 2004

> So these days the main question is (at least for me) : is it
> worth adding
> about 1,2 Mb (the Transcript engine) to a standalone, just to
> handle mouse events ? IOW, is it worth keeping Rev as the
> central dev. tool for an app, and why not used C librairies
> instead, and code the whole thing in C ?

Well, a lot depends on what you use Rev for. I would agree that there's a
bunch more multimedia functionality that could/should be added to Rev. But
for people like me, who build "standard business applications", the opposite
is true for me - 95% of the work I need to be able to do can be done
internally to Rev, and the other 5% is going "outside" (externals,
AppleScript, VBS, etc.). Since I've been developing with MC/Rev (which was
over 6 years ago), the only multimedia things I needed to do that MC/Rev
wouldn't do at the time was sound recording and the ability to rotate
QuickTime movies.

I think part of the issue is that determining where Rev "goes" can be
difficult because of multiple target markets. If the only target market was
multimedia developers, then more emphasis would be placed on multimedia
functionality.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software