[OT] Algol!

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 06:16:21 EST 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:24:03 +0000, Frank Leahy <frank at backtalk.com> wrote:

[a civilised summary of the C vs Transcript conversations...]
  including the remark

>I understand Marc's desire that it would be nice if Transcript
>supported C-like syntax, because most of the worlds computer languages
>are C/Algol like (no need to comment if you have counterexamples that
>all languages aren't C/Algol like...I believe you).

I just couldn't pass up the reference to Algol - I experienced a warm
feeling that anyone would remember Algol, as I cut my programming teeth on
it, initially by taking an algorithm in ACM by Donald Knuth for calculating
the date of Easter and translating it into LISP - my first program! - and
subsequently by completing an Algol compiler for a long-forgotten mainframe.

Just my nostalgic 2 pence (tuppence old Sterling, in this case).

Graham