[OT] Spelling

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Mar 22 23:42:33 EST 2004

Sorry, everyone, but after seeing multiple posts by people (not only on this
list, but elsewhere as well) where certain words are consistently
misspelled, I felt that it was time to make a quick post about those words
in the hope that it would help us all communicate better in the future.

------
  "loose" is the opposite of "tight", as in:
     "This bolt is loose."

  "lose" is the opposite of "win" or "gain", as in:
     "I didn't mean to lose your phone number."
------
  "your" means "belonging to you"

  "you're" means "you are"
------
  "it's" means "it is"

  "its" means "belonging to it"
------
  An apostrophe usually implies possession (or is used in a contraction),
and is not used for making a singular into a plural, so:

  "television's" = belonging to a television

  "televisions"  = more than one television
------

And note that these things are not confined to programming; one quick drive
through my town where I see signs that say: "Hold your partys here" (for a
karaoke bar), or "We use all cloth shammy's" (for a car wash) has urged me
to make this post. Sorry for being a bit pedantic, and I hope no one takes
offense.

Thanks,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software